Saturday, April 27, 2013

Remote Terminal 1.4.0 now available

In this update I added two requested features, which I have combined into a single user interface:

"Copy" function and clickable URLs
You can find the new "Copy/URL Mode" button on the bottom AppBar of the terminal page, to the right of the Paste button. I have implemented it so that a smaller copy of the current terminal screen is displayed in front of the normal terminal. In this terminal screen copy the text can be selected and copied (including formatting), and URLs are clickable. I suspect that the URL parsing method is not perfect yet, please report any unexpected behaviour and I'll fix it for the next update.
Updates to the terminal that are happening while the Copy/URL Mode is active have no effect on the terminal screen copy.
The Copy/URL Mode can be closed by clicking/tapping the Copy/URL Mode button again or by clicking/tapping the dimmed area around the terminal screen copy, where the original terminal can be seen. It is also closed during screen resolution/orientation changes.

Other changes:
  • Fixed the "Purchase" button that is displayed on the favorites page when the app is running in trial mode. Now it's possible to buy the app without leaving it.
  • Fixed a possible crash when the terminal view of an SSH connection is resized (e.g. snapped/unsnapped) after the SSH connection has been disconnected
  • Fixed connection errors when pressing any keys after the connection/private key password entry but before the connection is fully established

This update completes the most requested feature: Copy & Paste. I hope that I have implemented it in a useful way for everyone. If you are having issues with it please report them to me.
The next update will of course also be focused on user requests, which I try to prioritize reasonably.

Thanks to all of you for your continued support and for the nice store reviews! I am reading every review, so for those of you making suggestions or offering criticism, I hear you!

6 comments:

  1. Hello Stefan,

    Have bought your great tool.
    Do you have plan to add scrolling into the tool?
    It would be really nice to see output with using scrolling.


    Regards,
    Alexander

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alexander!

      That is actually the feature I am working on at the moment. Implementing the scrollback buffer was not a big deal, the UI and scrolling behavior are the more difficult parts I am still trying to figure out.

      You'll get it with the next update, but please expect it to take a bit more time before it's ready.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Stefan,

    Out of all the Win8 SSH clients out there, yours is definitely the best at handling window resizes. Would you mind making it possible to resize the text, though? When I snap the program to the side of my screen it only has 34 columns, but my display is large enough to comfortably handle at least 50 in that amount of space.

    Nice work! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      Changing fonts and font sizes is definitely on my backlog, it's actually the next thing after scrolling, which is almost ready for release.

      Thanks for your support and your patience!

      Delete
  3. Loving the app. Curious as to how Paste works on Surface RT, given the lack of an Insert key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      When I implemented the keyboard shortcut for "Paste" I wanted it to match one that can also be used in other windows applications. But Ctrl + V was out of the question, since that should usually be sent over the SSH connection to the server, so I went with Shift + Insert.

      You're right, when I did this I totally forgot that the Surface RT has no Insert key...not on the Touch-/TypeCover and not on the virtual keyboard...
      Workaround: swipe up from the bottom edge of the screen to display the AppBar, there is a "Paste" button.

      How would you like Shift + Del as an additional shortcut for Paste? Better than having no shortcut keys at all, right?

      Delete