Monday, October 14, 2013

Remote Terminal 1.6.0 now available

In this update I added one often requested feature and another very important security feature:

Configurable font family and font size
Go to the settings charm, hit "Fonts and Colors" (previously only "Colors"), there you can finally adjust the font family (only Consolas and Courier New for now) and, more importantly, the font size.

Host key validation
This feature is implemented similar to putty. When you connect to an SSH host for the first time after installing the update you are asked whether you trust the host key fingerprint and if you do, whether you want to remember it for future connection attempts. If you remember the host key and Remote Terminal detects a different host key for the same host/port combination in a future connection attempt an alert appears and you have to confirm whether you trust this new host key and whether you want to replace the remembered old key with the new one.

Other changes:
  • Ctrl+/ is now correctly sent to the host
  • Along with the configurable fonts I implemented some changes that hopefully improve the terminal drawing performance on most machines
Thank you for your patience and for any feedback you may have!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update! This update is big improvement for me!
    Now I can see CJK (Kanji) characters properly but still it has some issues.
    I saw cursor position error when I edit file with CJK character in Emacs.
    It's perfect application if it can be fixed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After publishing this update I started working on better support for CJK characters by setting up a test environment. That's when I noticed that the problems were almost fixed by the changes I implemented in the terminal drawing code.
      I see that there are still some small issues and I guess that is because Remote Terminal does not handle the width of CJK characters correctly. I will try to fix that very soon.

      Delete
  2. I also found one more issue.
    When I copy strings from terminal and paste it into terminal, it looks same, but actually space character code is different. It's not 0x20, something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, I had to convert normal spaces to no-break spaces (0xA0), if I remember correctly, so that the copy-mode rich-text-box is sized correctly. I had another, slightly less performant, implementation in a previous version that allowed copying the correct 0x20 space character, will revert to it for the next update.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. If you are using Windows 8, see this page on how to open the charms bar and through it the settings charm: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/charms-tutorial

      If you have already upgraded to Windows 10 I think you can find these settings through a click/tap at the symbol at the left edge of the app's title bar (I myself haven't upgraded yet).

      By the way: Remote Terminal is not the only app that uses the settings charm. Many other apps also provide app settings there.

      Delete